Rudyard W. Ceres is a member of Dunnington’s corporate, international, and litigation/ADR practice areas and leads our UK/Commonwealth desk and Africa desk practice areas. Mr. Ceres assists clients in such areas as asset portfolio management (including real estate), international corporate transactions, commercial litigation and domestic and international arbitrations. Mr. Ceres represents both individuals and companies ranging from start-ups to large and middle market companies, including non-profits. He also represents foreign governments in attracting foreign direct investments, focusing primarily on Africa and the Caribbean.
Mr. Ceres is well versed in handling international trade issues, including export controls, import regulations, economic sanctions, anti-bribery, international arbitration, regulatory compliance, and has worked as a liaison for his clients in the United Nations. Prior to joining the Dunnington team, Mr. Ceres spent a decade with an AMLAW 50 firm and he served as the international partner for two U.S. law firms.
Mr. Ceres’s experience also includes international asset management and working closely with high net worth individuals as well as private equity, hedge fund and charitable organizations to protect and grow their asset bases. Accordingly, Mr. Ceres is able to complement his legal skills with his role as a trusted advisor to manage and mitigate his clients’ legal and business risks on a global basis.
Recent representations include:
- Corporate – representing a large U.S. global satellite company including incorporating a local affiliate, liaising with telecommunications regulators, and applying for and obtaining telecommunications licenses in two African countries
- Arbitration – successfully prosecuted breach of contract matter, leading to a full recovery for client on all claims (all attorney fees in the arbitration recovered), as well as securing two motions to dismiss in Supreme Court and Federal Court (Southern District)
- Litigation – Mermaid Marine v. Maritime Capital Management Partners, successfully opposed motion for order of attachment in aid of arbitration in shipping matter, including oral argument before the First Department of Appellate Division and appeal to Court of Appeals
- Advisory – conducting a comprehensive internal corporate and tax structural audit and reorganization of a large multi-jurisdictional record/publishing company, including proposing a consolidated corporate structure for tax purposes
Current and Former Board Service includes:
- President of the Board of Trustees for Brooklyn Excelsior Charter School
- Board of Directors, NYC & Co
- General Counsel and Board Member, National Math Foundation, Syracuse, NY
- New York Bar 1998; Southern and Eastern Districts of New York 2004
- Electoral Roll of England and Wales 1995
- Education: University of Leicester, UK, LLB. Hons; College of Law, York, UK, Solicitor’s Final Examination
Recent Speaking Engagements:
- Investing in Caribbean Growth Companies (November 2020), Moderator
- Blacks On Wall Street Conference (February 2020), New York, NY, Panelist
- Georgetown Africa Business Conference 2019, Washington DC (February 2019), Panelist (The Investment Giants: Can’t the Elephants Just Get Along)
- Constituency for Africa, 2018 Ronald H. Brown African Affairs Series, Roundtable on Trade and Investment, African Union Mission, Washington DC (September 2018), Panelist (Private Equity)
- 2018 Africa Trade & Investment Global Summit, World Trade Center, Ronald Reagan Building, Washington DC (June 2018), Panelist, AGOA: The US-Africa Trade Program, Taking Full Advantage